Apache OpenNLP 1.7.2 released
The Apache OpenNLP team is pleased to announce the release of version 1.7.2 of Apache OpenNLP.
The Apache OpenNLP library is a machine learning based toolkit for the processing of natural language text.
It supports the most common NLP tasks, such as tokenization, sentence segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named entity extraction, chunking, parsing, and coreference resolution.
The OpenNLP 1.7.2 binary and source distributions are available for download from our download page: http://opennlp.apache.org/cgi-bin/download.cgi
The OpenNLP library is distributed by Maven Central as well. See the Maven Dependency page for more details: http://opennlp.apache.org/maven-dependency.html
Java 1.8 is required to run OpenNLP Maven 3.3.9 is required for building it
Building from the Source Distribution¶
To build everything execute the following command in the root folder: mvn clean install
The results of the build will be placed in: opennlp-distr/target/apache-opennlp-1.7.2-bin.tar-gz (or .zip)
What is new in Apache OpenNLP 1.7.2¶
This release introduces many new features, improvements and bug fixes. The API has been improved for a better consistency and 1.4 deprecated methods were removed. Now Java 1.8 is required.
Additionally the release contains the following noteworthy changes:
- Name Finder evaluation can now show a confusion matrix
- The default evaluation output contains more details
- Added a Language Model CLI tool
- Add Moses format support
- More refactoring and cleanup, specially in Machine Learning package and Dictionary
- Removed deprecated trainers from UIMA integration
- Fixed potential localization issues and added maven plugin to prevent it (ForbiddenAPI)
- Fixed issues with the BRAT corpus reader
- Deprecated GIS class, will be removed in a future 1.8.x release
A detailed list of the issues related to this release can be found in the release notes.